Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Unit 2 Topic

For my topic, I chose whether schools should teach other theories along with evolution. People who have experience with the topic would be school districts and teachers, politicians that have worked with the issue, and scientists. People that are talking about the topic are parents, school districts and teachers, politicians, and scientists. Some possible primary sources are speeches by candidates, statements and decisions by school districts and teachers, and any laws passed.

4 comments:

Michelle J. said...

Your topic is going to be a very interesting one. I know that what kind of science being taught in schools is always a big controversy especially for the religious. I'm sure you will be able to find a lot of material.

Xander said...

First off, I like your topic. It has always been rather hilarious to me how the close-minded scientists and fundamentalists religious folk have been at odds over this topic. If you want some extra, non-related reading, try "The New Atheists" by Becky Garrison.

Rachel Harper said...

Sarah- great topic choice, I will be very interested to read it, since I think other theories should be taught alongside evolution. People have been arguing over this issue since the Scopes Monkey Trial in the 1920s. Good luck!

Lindsay B said...

This is going to be an interesting topic to write about. There is such controversy and many ideas towards both sides. This is a good topic for finding primary sources, because I am sure there are a lot of science teachers who have experienced this first hand.